Friday, August 22, 2008

Ponca Nebraska

Finally I am posting pictures from our trip to Nebraska. It has taken me this long because I forgot my camera and Jeanine did too. Finally she found her Mom's and so the pictures that follow are from our last few days of the trip. It was an amazing time for my city kids. They could run and play outside for acres and acres without worries about traffic, perverts, snakes, bugs or anything else that could harm them. We all had a lot of firsts. The kids got frogs and participated in a frog jumping contest right inthe middle of town. Vivians frog won for her age group. Her prize was a coupon to the local soda shop for a malt, or milkshake. This was not like going to Coldstone, this was a pharmacy with soda shop in the back, just like in the days of old. I remember going to one in New Bern when I was little with my mom, but it closed many years ago. Each night when they were so dirty from the day they bathed in an old cast iron claw footed tub, no showers. The dirt ring aroung the tub was unbelievable. We ate corn pick that day that was the sweetest best tasting corn I had ever tasted. Each kid ate at least 3 ears each. Troy took the kids exploring on the back p[art of the farm. They discovered a series of beaver dams that went farther and farther down the creek to control the water flow. They could see all the gnawed trees the beavers had left behind. Troy said it was quite impressive. GAbriel got bucked off a horse and was made to get right back on. Jeanine's uncle ownes two huge Belgian draft horses that he hitched up and took us all for a ride throught the rolling cornfields of Nebraska jsut at sunset. It was beautiful. Pictures of that will post as soon as they are forwarded to me. All in all it was an amazing trip. I just wish I had not forgotten my camera.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

toners said...

All the photos are awesome! Glad you all had so much fun together :)